We use AI many times in our daily lives. Let’s get to know about what AI is –
What is Artificial Intelligence?
In today’s fast-paced life where we need everything at our fingertips, technological advancements are roaring. AI which stands for Artificial Intelligence which is demonstrated by machines unlike the one shown by humans and animals which includes emotions and consciousness. AI is capable of performing tasks that mainly revolve around human intelligence.
How is AI used?
Artificial intelligence often falls under two major categories.
- WEAK AI
Weak AI often called “Narrow AI,” is the type of artificial intelligence that is based on limited contexts and is an amalgamation of human intelligence. This AI focuses on carrying out a single task with accuracy. This AI is rather mundane and tends to be used for basic tasks.
- Artificial General Intelligence (AGI)
AGI also referred to as ‘strong AI’ is the more complex structured AI which has a broader spectrum of human intelligence, mannerisms and even emotions. This AI technology is the type that we see in movies, a great example of this being Sophia the Robot!
Some examples of artificial intelligence in daily life.
- Smart assistance like Siri and Alexa.
- Drone robots.
- Songs and movies/shows recommendations from Spotify and Netflix.
- Google ads are customised automatically by your liking.
- Spam filters on email.
- Conversational bots are used for customer service.
History of AI
Did you know that Artificial intelligence roots way back, it first appeared in the ancient Greek myths of Antiquity? While its roots are quite dense and deep, the artificial intelligence that we are aware of today spans less than a century.
- 1956: John Mcarthy coins the term. Later that year, Allen Newell, J.C Shaw, and Herbert Simone create the first-ever running AI software program.
- 1949: In the book The organization of behaviour: A Neuropsychological Theory, Donald Hebb proposes the theory that neural pathways are created from strong experiences.
Who Wins When The Smartest Digital Assistants Race? Let’s get to know.